Monday, August 13, 2012

Using a Die to make Important Life Decisions

The election is coming up.  I don't usually get political, but I thought it might be fun to see how my ballot would look if I let the die take control and make my decisions for me.  I grabbed my sample ballot, and my brand spankin' new 20 sided die.  This would prove effective on all races but one.

Here's how I broke it down.  Races with 2 candidates would be determined by an even/odd on the die.  This is my standard rule for a yes or no when rolling a polyhedral die.  One race had four candidates so I gave each a range of 5 numbers in sequence.  The final race on the ballot had 3 candidates, which required that I use a different die.  So I grabbed a standard 6 sided die, and assigned each candidate 2 numbers in sequence.

It was quite fun to make this decision this way, but I don't recommend taking your die bag into the voting booth.  My die did select some of the same candidates I've been seriously considering, but I still need to do more research to determine where my actual and final vote will be cast.

When it comes to making life decisions for real, I'd probably only use the die method to determine where you want to go for dinner, which movie to rent, or what color shirt to wear.  JB and I used this method of decision making Saturday to determine restaurant to eat at.  The die chose my first selection.  I later used the die to determine which box of Magic cards for him to buy.  He was disappointed in the die roll, so he decided not to go with the die selection.  It's more fun than flipping a coin.

Try it one weekend.  Grab your favorite polyhedral die, and let it choose your adventure.  I promise you'll have a good time.

Keep on Rollin'

JP

PS.  Florida Voters, Primary Election is Tuesday August 14.  Vote if you haven't already taken advantage of early voting.

No comments:

Post a Comment