Saturday, September 15, 2012

Star Stuff

Growing up, one of my favorite subjects was science  I even had a play house in the back yard which I called my "Mad Scientist Laboratory."  I was not the typical little girl.  I wanted to be either an equine veterinarian or a marine biologist when I grew up.  I didn't end up doing either of those things, but I still have a love and appreciation for science to this day.  I think it's led me to my most recent sort of obsession. Carl Sagan's Cosmos. He sort of looks like a creepy cult leader in those turtlenecks, don't you think?

I was having a pretty rough week,  I wanted something to drown out the static in my head, so I headed over to youtube and started sidebar surfing.  While doing this, I found the Symphony of Science videos.  If you haven't checked those out, I totally recommend them. They are fantastic, but I wanted more. So I googled it, like any child of the internet generation would, and I stumbled across the Cosmos series on Hulu.   Oh, and it's free.

I decided to turn it on as late afternoon background noise. I am incredibly impressed with this.  Sagan is very well spoken, almost poetic in his description of the Cosmos. Despite the fact that it was created in the late 70s, very little of the scientific facts have changed.  It's fascinating.  If you're interested in space, the universe, life on earth, and the possibility of life elsewhere, it's definitely worth checking out. I have learned so much, and gained so much perspective from this series.  

It has reignited my passion for science.  My love for deductive reasoning.  My hope that one day we can put aside all of our differences, and come together as the Human Species, to take care of this, our home.
Never stop learning. Never stop searching for answers.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment