Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Night Film Review: Psycho (1960)

(Soutce)
Believe it or not, I had never seen Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho until tonight. As a film buff, I'm ashamed. I'm familiar with the shower scene, then again, who isn't?

Since I started watching Bates Motel on A&E last month, I thought it was time to see the film and story that inspired the prequel.  When I saw it listed for viewing on one of the premium channels tonight, I figured that now was as good a time as any.

Anthony Perkins is the perfect Norman Bates.  Awkward and socially inept.  A bit weird, but really he seems harmless.  He play this part so delightfully well, I would never have suspected the horrible things that he eventually did.

The shower scene didn't disappoint, and though it's not as gory as today's slasher films, it was disturbing and disorienting. Hitchcock really did make a moment that I won't forget.

Atmospherically, it was as creepy as a film in the 60s could be.  The score was my favorite part, escalating the terror in just a few sharp notes.  It pairs beautifully with the horror that's unfolding in the story.  I think if I heard that while strolling down the block, I'd pee my pants.  I'm not lying.

Oh, and if you even think about watching the Psycho they made in the 90s, do yourself a  favor, and take a shower at the Bates Motel instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment